Why 92.5 Sterling Silver?
26 Maret, 2014 — Pertiwi Silver
Pertiwi.comer silver is an alloy of silver containing 92.5% by mass of silver and 7.5% by mass of other metals, usually copper. The sterling silver standard has a minimum millesimal fineness of 925.
Fine silver (99.9% pure) is generally too soft for producing functional objects; therefore, the silver is usually alloyed with copper to give it strength but preserving the ductility and beauty of the precious metal. Other metals can replace the copper, usually with the intent to improve various properties of the basic sterling alloy such as reducing casting porosity, eliminating firescale, and increasing resistance to tarnish. These replacement metals include germanium, zinc and platinum, as well as a variety of other additives, including silicon and boron. A number of alloys, such as Argentium sterling silver have appeared in recent years, formulated to lessen firescale or to inhibit tarnish, and this has sparked heavy competition among the various manufacturers, who are rushing to make claims of having the best formulation. However, no one alloy has emerged to replace copper as the industry standard, and alloy development is a very active area.
Silver (having the elemental symbol Ag) is a lustrous metal with a melting point of 893°C (about 1639°F which is hotter than normal lava which is only at 750°C). Like all other metals, it is good at conducting electricity, ductile (able to be drawn out to a long wire), and is malleable (able to be bent). Silver is used for more than just jewelry– there are also silver currency (very valuable), flatware, decoration items, medical instruments, and much more! This amazing shiny metal is beautiful and attractive, yet very affordable. The beauty of silver is, if you purchase it and misplace it, you won’t feel as bad as if you had purchased jewelry made of more expensive metal. Plus, purchasing silver that is plated with rhodium (a.k.a. “rhodium-plated” silver) will usually mistaken your silver to look really expensive just like “white-gold” or “platinum” but at a much, much, much lower price and without the tarnishing. Wow… it’s no wonder silver has remained the popular choice for many jewelry lovers out there.
But what does the 92.5 stamped on all sterling silver jewelry really mean? You wouldn’t want the silver you’re wearing to just fall apart or slip out of your hands as you try to put it on. Since 99.9% pure silver is very difficult to maintain in a solid state, silver must be mixed with other metals such as copper in order to provide it some strength. The percentage of pure silver in sterling silver jewelry is 92.5% and the other 7.5% is usually composed of other metals, copper alloy being one of them. One of the ways to figure out if what you are wearing is really made of sterling silver, and not just some shiny silver-like metal, is by locating the tiny 925 or 92.5 stamp on any part of the silver jewelry piece, usually found on the back or somewhere small enough to stamp this important 3-numbered character onto to distinguish it from fake silver. Without this stamp, you could be buying a fake and getting ripped off at the same time. Yikes! You can be guaranteed that at Pertiwi Silver, we have a stamp on each and every one of our jewelry pieces.